The Light Within
A Group Exhibition Shining Light on Mental Health Month
May 4 – June 3, 2016
Fresh A.I.R. Gallery cordially invites you to The Light Within, a special group exhibition featuring the artwork of Shae Brooks, ChelC, Dennis Howland, Meadow Center Marston, and Elaine Russell. Please join us for an opening reception Wednesday, May 4, 2016 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. The Light Within will be on view at the Fresh A.I.R. Gallery from May 4 through June 3, 2016.
Fresh A.I.R. Gallery is exhibiting The Light Within in observance of Mental Health Month. As part of this groundbreaking movement, every May, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) and participants across the nation collaborate to increase awareness about mental health. The goals of Mental Health Month include fighting stigma, providing support, educating the public, and advocating for equal care. The movement grows stronger every year.
Raising awareness on your own, as part of a small group, or as part of your community can make a difference. Learn about what it means to live with a mental illness. Fight misconceptions and stereotypes. Be there for friends, family, and others in need. Teach others about the most effective treatment solutions. In doing so, you'll help break down obstacles and improve the chance of recovery for the millions of Americans living with mental illness.
Important Mental Health Statistics (source: NAMI.org):
- 43.8 million adults experience mental illness in a given year;
- 1 in 5 Americans will be affected by a mental health condition in their lifetime;
- Approximately 10.2 million adults have co-occurring mental health and addiction disorders;
- Approximately 26% of homeless adults staying in shelters live with mental illness; and
- Nearly 60% of adults with a mental illness didn't receive mental health services in the previous year.
Wednesday May 4, 2016
5:30pm - 7:00pm
131 N. High Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Gallery hours - Monday through Friday 8:00 am - 5:30 pm
Gallery Manager - Lauren Pond, (614) 225-0980
PR Contact - Myken Pullins, (614) 225-0980